Wednesday 12 November 2014

My Week With the Strabane SDLP - Tamika McCrory

I've recently just finished work experience with the Strabane SDLP team. My week there was fantastic and truly worthwhile and life changing experience. I felt right at home the moment I arrived at the Strabane Advice Centre greeted by the team.

My week included a number of tasks like answering phones, making important calls, filing and attending events outside of the SDLP office and dealing with a diverse range of public concerns and public bodies.



With Joe Byrne MLA and Daniel McCrossan, West Tyrone Constituency Representative I attended a number of local events throughout the Strabane area. I especially enjoyed my visit with residents of Greenfield Residential Home during a recent Coffee morning and the premiere of the Strabane food bank film and to witness first-hand the sterling work by this invaluable local resource.


Before my work experience I had a passionate interest in Politics and I am currently studying it at A Level. Following my week with the Strabane SDLP team and the insight into the invaluable contribution they make in helping local and vulnerable people from all backgrounds, my interest in politics has grown. I am now deeply considering taking politics further into a career. My time spent at the SDLP has shown me that politics isn’t just about being someone important. It’s about helping the people, putting the people in your constituency first and letting them know that someone is there to help, that someone cares! Helping the people of Northern Ireland to reconcile and paving a more peaceful road into a stronger much more prosperous future.


Young people should engage more in democracy! If we had more youth interested in politics then things in Northern Ireland could start to improve more. Young people’s opinions and visions are a lot different now than the generation before. Politics need the voices of young people to express their views, to help change the way politics is and too help intrigue even more youth into the world of politics today.

No comments:

Post a Comment