Thursday 20 November 2014

The SDLP of Tomorrow - Oilbhea Whorriskey



Since a young age I have always shown an interest in politics. Having my uncle John Hume so heavily involved has meant I have grown up with it. But the fact is, I want to grow up in a society that I would like to see future generations live in. Walking through the doors of the Ramada Plaza last Friday my eyes was opened to a whole new world and experience for me.

This was my first SDLP party conference. There were so many people present in the foyer from the SDLP, some of whom I recognised from the TV. As the day went on I was in and out of the conference room attending many different debates of which I had an interest. It was great hearing many different speakers talk on a wide range of topics, including education and health to name just a few. With this being my first conference, I understood most of what people spoke of and it gave me a better understanding on what actually happens within politics and Stormont.

From the debates I attended, I believed strongly that these people represented my interests and when I get older I feel that things will be better and stronger for us, the youth of today. Seeing all the MP's, MLA's, councillors and representatives of the SDLP was amazing, and to think their ways are exactly what I want. Believing in them in making a better future.

Another great experience to take from the conference was getting my photograph take with different important people. Getting to meet the Lord Mayor of Belfast Nichola Mallon, Fearghal McKinney MLA and Mark H Durkan MLA to name but a few.


This was the first of many conferences for me and I enjoyed it from the start to finish. If I was to take anything from the conference, it would be that everyone has an opinion. But more importantly, the youth's views are vital and with the right representation we can build a better future for everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment