Monday 16 December 2013

SDLP announce candidates for upcoming council elections

Last night (Sunday) the SDLP in Strabane announced their candidates for the upcoming Derry-Strabane Super Council elections in 2014.

In attendance at Murphy's on the Green was a large crowd of friends and supporters of the candidates, to celebrate their selection to run as SDLP candidates in the 2014 local elections. The Electoral areas in question were the Derg Electoral Area and the newly formed Sperrin Electoral area. In the Derg Jim McIntyre was selected as the SDLP's candidate, whilst in Sperrin Liam Stewart, Patrick Leonard and sitting Councillor Patsy Kelly were selected to run as candidates.

Speaking on his selection Jim McIntyre said "I am honored to be selected by the Members of the Strabane District Branch to represent them in the upcoming elections. I joined the SDLP because of their core principles of prosperity, reconciliation and social justice. These are principles I whole heartily standby and will be striving towards if I am elected next year."

Also speaking on his selection was Liam Stewart who said "I am privileged to be endorsed by my peers and given the opportunity to represent the town I grew up in and its people. Strabane and its people have been forgotten about for far too long, and I along with my fellow SDLP colleagues will continue the fight we started over two years ago with the re-launch of the new SDLP team in Strabane, if elected by the people."

Sperrin SDLP District Area candidate Patrick Leonard said "I would like to thank everyone who believed me enough to select me as their SDLP candidate in the Sperrin District Electoral Area. Being married to a niece of former SDLP Leader John Hume I have always felt a great attachment to the politics of the SDLP. The SDLP is a party for the people and I will be working in their interests to fight for their future and my children's future."

Finally commenting on his re-selection was SDLP Strabane District Councillor Patsy Kelly who said "I have been fighting for over two years in Council for the people of this town. I have now been given the trust of my fellow colleagues and been selected to run again for the SDLP in 2014. I will continue to lobby for the people of Strabane and I hope next year I will have a strong SDLP team standing with me in Council."

Following the selections it was announced there will be further announcements in January and everyone was looking forward to the journey ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment